A Tactical Shift in Gears


After playing the Gears of War 3 beta for the week it's been available (for Bulletstorm owners, that is), I have to say that I am completely shocked by the "end" product. "End", meaning that I know the game is still in beta phase, but this is roughly what will be delivered come release time. Nonetheless, Gears of War 3 finally brings the "tactical" back to the game's genre of third-person tactical-horror, as Cliffy B described it during the first game's release.

I'll admit it, going into Gears 3 I was not expecting much. After my letdown of the second iteration's online component (constant lag, weapon choices, core gameplay), I jumped into my first beta match fearing the worst. What I got, however, was something completely different.

What surprised me most about Gears 3 is how it vastly affected my play-style. I am taking cover more often, planning out attack routes, and surveying my surroundings before I make my move. The reason? Mostly due to the fact that assault rifles are a more formidable foe on the battlefield, something that was not the case in past entries.

Players can no longer go around shotgun-rolling and "two-piecing" their way to victory. Try that in Gears 3 and you will be down on your knees eating pavement...quick! This makes Gears of War 3 a tighter, more engaging multiplayer package than before, and the game feels more tactical because of it. It isn't just down to who makes the first shotgun blast or who revs the chainsaw first. You also need to think on you feet, make strategies, and even play defensively at times.

Sure, shotguns are still effective, especially the powerful sawed-off shotgun, it's just that you need to be a bit smarter in order to use it.

What makes this new rifle buff even better is that it doesn't completely slow the game down either. Gears of War 3 still requires the use of "fast tactics", in that you need to scope out your surroundings before heading into a fight, yet you can't sit for too long or you will find yourself flanked. This added depth to the battlefield makes Gears of War 3 more exciting to play and provides a much better gameplay experience than before. The new tactics involved for multiplayer will hopefully provide it with the legs of longevity and re-playability that the past games sorely lacked.

Has Gears of War 3 changed how you play its multiplayer? Are you playing any different than before? What changes would you like to see in the game?